Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Oops, Out of the Mouth of Babes


Tuesday I had the pleasure of having my eight year old granddaughter, Jas, spend the day with me. After a morning of riding bikes, pulling weeds and watching Sponge Bob reruns, we headed off to Jas’s favorite Chinese barfette for lunch. On the way she told me a deep dark secret.

“Gwanma” she says, as I am driving the car through traffic. “Gwanma, I’m going to have to go to a dermatologist when I’m a teenager.”

“Why?” I ask. “Does your mommy think you are going to get pimples?”

“No”, she says, “I have male pattern baldness.”

At this point I almost rear-ended the car in front of me. Later, when we were seated at our favorite table, I looked at her hair really close. Hmmm… ‘still nice and thick’ I thought to myself. So I had to ask. “Why do you think you have male pattern baldness?”

“Shhhhh….” She said quickly. Then she lowered her head and whispered in my ear “My mommy says if any more hair comes out on my brush I am going to need a wig before I go to high school.”

Instead of a College Fund, maybe I should start a Wig Fund for her?
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 12:57 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At July 10, 2008 at 2:08 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Kids are so funny!! I don't think she'll need a wig. Did you know that every seven years (about) our hair and skin changes completely? So, if she's just eight, it's normal she loses lots of hair. She may have peeling skin on her hands and feet, as the old cells slough off. Her hair may change texture too, becoming thicker of finer, courser or even slightly wavy.
    :-)

    And reading the post below, I think your poor hubby needs to get some professional help. It really sounds like he's in a depression, and that needs professional treatment.

    Sam

     
  • At July 12, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    I didn't know our hair/skin changed every 7 years. Thanks for sharing that Sam. I told Jasmine about that. And yes, I agree with your thoughts on the hubby. We have a friend who is a therapist and offered to sit down with him, but he refused. I guess you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Darn men!

     
  • At July 24, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Blogger MarkD60

    I don't know, wigs aren't that expensive.
    My grandmother on my fathers side had that.That's why Ibdo!