Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Oops, I Should be Grateful

(click on image to enlarge)

I suppose I should be grateful. I don’t live in a mobile home, thus my home isn’t floating out of the neighborhood the way the mobile homes are on the south side of Indy. And although my street is flooded, I can still drive my car down it without getting wet. And my ice cream isn’t melting because I have electricity (for now). So yes, I should be grateful. But late yesterday afternoon when the daily storm rolled in and my neighbors tree was struck by lightening, resulting in a huge tree limb landing on my storage shed and knocking out my electric, I have to say I wasn’t so grateful. In fact I said a four-letter word very loudly. VERY loudly! The electric company was called as was the fire department (the tree was smoking). Actually the tree wasn’t the only thing smoking; those firemen were smoking hot! It was all I could do to not slip in the puddle of drool emanating from my agape mouth. I had not only one firetruck full of hot firemen, but TWO firetrucks. There were about 10 hot firemen in my back yard. Unfortunately the hubby was in the back yard too. Oh well, maybe the hubby will be stuck at the grocery when the next storm hits and the firemen have to come. Within an hour the electric company arrived and fixed the live wire that the tree limb knocked down. They left the tree limb on the wires and my storage shed though. Apparently there is another department that handles that and since they are still busy on the south side of the city from the weekends storms, it could be a week or more before they get to us. In the meantime we have no idea if our storage shed room and fence are damaged from the huge tree limb. It will fall under our neighbors home owners insurance if our shed is indeed damaged. But here is the rude thing. The two guys that live behind us clearly saw that part of their tree is laying on our storage shed and fence but they haven’t had the decency to come over and say anything. The hubby saw them out on their back patio this afternoon and went outside to talk over the fence at them. But they saw him coming and ran in the house like scared rabbits. He wasn’t acting in a mean way; he had a friendly smile on his face. I guess they don’t want to me man enough and own up to their responsibilities. If our shed and or fence is damaged they aren’t going to have a choice.

Oh, and the really screwed up part about the tree limb falling? The storage shed is the absolute worst place for it to fall because most of our belongings are still packed up inside the storage shed. Although we are in Indiana to stay, and halted the sale of our house, we haven’t gotten around to unpacking yet. Maybe we should do that before the next natural disaster hits.
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 6:42 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At June 11, 2008 at 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    May I suggest the following for your reading pleasure? It's due to be released the first of July. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0373794207/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books
    In the meantime, welcome back to Indiana! We're pretty wet up here, too. How about that Lake Delton that just disappeared!!!

     
  • At June 11, 2008 at 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    umm that's ern to you, blogger

     
  • At June 11, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Blogger Jennifer Macaire

    Lordy - it never rains, it pours!!

    I hope your belongings are OK - and that the storms blow by and are finsihed!

     
  • At June 12, 2008 at 6:16 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Loved the book Ern. I'll definately have to get that one!

    storms are STILL rolling in Jenn. I think I shuld start building an Ark. I did manage to pull some sentimental things out of the storgage shed yesterday though and put them in the house for safe keeping.

     
  • At June 24, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Blogger MarkD60

    I used to live in Missouri. I've been thinking about you.