Friday, April 18, 2008
Oops, I’m All Shook Up


This morning I woke up at 4:51 am. It wasn’t anything I had planned, I just woke up and couldn’t get back to sleep. After channel flicking for awhile I settled on a classic “I Love Lucy” episode and snuggled under the covers to watch. At 5:39am something felt a little odd. I wasn’t sure what it was at first but it felt like the bed was being gently shook. I have to admit my first thought was that a ghost was shaking the bed. I’ve been reading too many horror stories. But a couple of seconds later it became quite apparent that something more serious was going on. As I sat up in bed and turned the light on the whole house began to shake. I could visibly see the walls swaying as the house violently shook. It even made sounds. I was seriously freaked out at this point so I grabbed the cell phone off the nightstand and called the hubster. Just about the time he answered the walls stopped moving, but the bed was still shaking. I have to admit my voice was shaking too. I told him what was occurring and whined “what’s going on, what’s happening, I’m scared.” He told me to calm down and turn on the news, that it was probably just an earthquake. JUST an earthquake? It was obvious he has never been in an earthquake or he wouldn’t have been saying it was JUST an earthquake. The bed is still shaking at the point when I turned the news channel on. I see horrified looks on the newscasters faces and they report a minute later that the lights had been shaking, etc and that they believe we all just experienced an earthquake. By the time I got out of the shower and dressed it was confirmed. We had an earthquake which was 5.4 on the Richter scale. That’s no tiny earthquake.



And as if that weren’t enough excitement for the day, I go to the 10:10am showing of Leatherheads at the movie theater and I am the only one in the entire theater. It didn’t bother me until 11:15 when we had ANOTHER earthquake! This one was 4.6 on the Richter scale. It didn’t last as long as the first earthquake but it was still frightening. And they say we may be having aftershocks for the next several days. I am so ready to get the heck out of Indiana. Between tornados and now earthquakes I am pretty much done with this state.
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 1:34 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At April 19, 2008 at 1:17 AM, Blogger Sam

    Wow!
    We used to have a lot of earthquakes in St. Thomas, once I was sitting on the counter, talking to my sister, when the lights started flickering, and then next thing I know, I'm thrown right across the room! I'm glad there seem to be no earthquakes here in France, though you never can tell!
    I hope that's the last of your earthquakes over there!
    (((HUGS)))

     
  • At April 19, 2008 at 2:05 AM, Blogger Jerry

    What did you think of the movie? I have not met one solitary person who says that they liked it.

    Not seen it myself.

     
  • At April 19, 2008 at 4:54 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    OMG Sam! St. Thomas' earthquakes sound pretty bad. We had MORE rumbles last night at 1:06. I am making plans to pack the rest of the house up and move to MD in 2 weeks. I am ready to leave!

     
  • At April 19, 2008 at 4:55 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Jerry I have to say I was sorely dissapointed. I didn't care for Leatherheads too much. It was weak, very weak. It didn't invest the viewer emotionaly.

     
  • At April 23, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Blogger MarkD60

    Once when we lived in Missouri we had an earthquake, but I slept through it.