Sunday, March 11, 2007
Oops, What Time Is It



From the history of time Indiana was one of those states, like Arizona, that didn’t observe daylight savings time. I liked that. I never had to worry about changing the VCR/DVD clock, time on the car radio or anything. It was fabulous and a definite perk for living in Indiana. And believe me, if you’ve ever been to Indiana you know we need all the perks we can get. Some bozo in a minor position of power decided that he wanted to cut his grass while it was still light out in the evenings so he proposed that Indiana observe daylight savings, and the rest is history. We started changing our clocks in 2006. So this morning when I woke up my befuddled mind had to stop and ponder is it 9am or 8am? I’m still not sure what time it is. And not to mention how this impacts my conversations with my daughter who is in a different time zone. Is she 6 hours ahead of me in Germany now or 7? Maybe 5 hours? And this is all so some bozo can cut his grass at 8pm without having to use a flashlight. And what really gets me is he can afford to hire a gardener to do it for him. Stupid legislators! Meanwhile I’ll be walking around in a daze for a week before my body adjusts to the time change. I am going to find that particular legislator and set his lawn on fire.

I have to come up with 5 pages of writing by 7:30pm tomorrow and I am sweating bullets. I have 4 or 5 stories in various states of creation and I hate them all. What to do? Start a new story maybe? I sit at the computer to write my little old heart out and the next thing I know I am playing Bud Redhead or Bejeweled (similar to Tetris and totally addictive). I don’t know how people who write for a living do it. I am thinking maybe I need a change of venue. It’s such a beautiful day outside, so perhaps I need my laptop to an outdoor table at Starbucks? No, I’d end up people watching instead of writing. I need to get myself in discipline mode. I’m sort of talking out loud aren’t I? Sorry about that. I love writing and I have many stories in my soul, the problem is getting them out of my head and onto the paper. That’s what it all comes down to isn’t it.



Speaking of writing, my local writer friend just had her 2nd book published. I thought the first book was good and anxiously awaited the release of book 2. I bought book 2 last week and now I have writers envy. She really is a good writer. If you are looking for a good read check her out. She is writing the “House of Pendragon” series. She is hard at work on book 3 right now. Book 1 is “The Firebrand”. Book 2 (her best yet) is “The Recruit”. If you like tales of the Round table, Sir Lancelot and King Arthur this is the book for you. I can hardly wait for book 3 now.

I think I’ll go out and enjoy this sunny day now. And God help them if they don’t get my no fat, no foam, latte right this time. Heads will roll!
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 12:08 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At March 11, 2007 at 12:19 PM, Blogger Bijoy

    wonderful atricle Oops, What Time Is It and the picture is very intresting. you have kewl blog,interesting stuff you have got here keep up the good work.


    regards Biby - Blog

     
  • At March 12, 2007 at 12:17 AM, Blogger Pynchon

    Every year, over here, they have the same argument as to whether they should scrap daylight saving time. The UK is in one timezone, so it would affect everybody.

    The best argument I heard for keeping it was that Scotland would be in darkness until mid morning if the clocks were not turned back (or is that forward).

     
  • At March 13, 2007 at 7:43 AM, Blogger MarkD60

    I say, finish the story you hate the least.
    And enjoy the day.

     
  • At March 19, 2007 at 2:12 PM, Blogger Mr. Toast

    If I ever get confused about what the time is anywhere in the world, I use this site. You can set up your own personal clock with cities of your choosing. Very helpful.

    PS: I hate the DST change too!