Monday, March 5, 2007
Oops, It’s Cupcakes

(click in image to enlarge)

This weekend I found myself regretting that I didn’t buy more cupcakes from Sprinkles while in LA last week. In fact, it was just a week ago today that I was sinking my teeth into the most delectable red velvet cupcake with melt in your mouth cream cheese frosting that I have ever in my life tasted in my entire life. It was sheer heaven I have to say. Thus the search for the almighty cupcake recipe began. Someone wrote in the comments about Williams Sonoma selling the afore mentioned cupcake mix. Oh delight! But alas they were a whopping $14 and only made a dismal 12 cupcakes. I would have gladly paid that however, but I read many reviews online and they all said that the cupcakes were disappointing and no better than any other cupcake recipe out there. What to do, what to do?


(click in image to enlarge)

AHA! The answer came to me when I was shopping in my local “Fresh Market”. For $7.99 I could get Ina Garten’s (the Barefoot Contessa) coconut cupcake mix, which included frosting (after you supply cream cheese and butter of course). She even had a packet of coconut shreds in the box. Count me in! I made them yesterday and I have to admit that after smelling them baking I didn’t wait for them to cool. Yes, while they were still hot I frosted one and the hubster and I scarfed it up like a hungry pack of wild dogs on steak night. The cupcake itself was so delicious that you didn’t need frosting. But to miss out on pairing that creamy, melt in your mouth frosting, with that delightful moist and light cupcake would be a sin. Now if only Ina would create a Red Velvet cupcake mix. Diet? What diet?
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 5:08 AM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At March 5, 2007 at 10:21 PM, Blogger Sam

    I LOVE cupcakes! Those look scrumptious.
    Yesterday I made a cake for my daughter's tea. They don't have frosting here in France, sometimes they put a glaze on cakes, but usually they make them like brownies, so it doesn't need frosting.
    But I think I'll bring back a couple cans of frosting with me when I go to the states next time! :-)

     
  • At March 6, 2007 at 6:49 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Sam you've got to try the homemade frosting, It makes that canned stuff loko like nothing. and definately try the Ina Garten coconut cupcakes. Yummy!

     
  • At March 6, 2007 at 10:46 PM, Blogger Mr. Toast

    Diet, schmiet. I LOVES me some cupcakes, and those look absolutely wonderful. I'm droolin' over here.

     
  • At March 8, 2007 at 6:23 AM, Blogger Sam

    OK - but can you reccomend a good homemade frosting recipe??
    LOL

     
  • At March 9, 2007 at 9:52 AM, Blogger Mary

    Cupcakes are the best things ever. There is a new shop out here, in Ahwahtukee and I HAVE to try it this weekend.