Monday, February 11, 2008
Oops, Small Towns


Even though we haven’t officially sold our current house in Indiana yet, we already have a real estate agent in Maryland working for us as of this morning. I had forgotten how life in small towns work. The hubster’s new boss gave me the name of a real estate agent that he has used in the last four homes he has purchased. He didn’t have her phone number or email address on him at the time though. Meanwhile, I finished a brilliant story for publication in my new writers groups anthology. (If you will recall I’ve already joined a writers group in Maryland). The president (a swell emailer) emailed my story to the rest of the group for critique, as is the custom. Being a nosy person writer I looked at the details of the email to see who all of the writing group members were. Who should be the last name on the list but the real estate agent that the hubsters new boss had recommended. It gets better though. When my brother in law was here this past weekend I was telling him the story of the real estate agent being in my new writers group. He knows her too! In fact, his 2nd wife took real estate classes from this gal. What a small world town. I had forgotten what it was like to live in a town where everyone knows everyone else and everybody knows all of your business. Okay, I’m officially scared. But at least I have a real estate agent finding me a house in MD. Although, in looking through the comments from Dorothy, (who lives in the same general area I’ll be moving to) I think I want to use her real estate agent because she has a bay view at her new place! I was complaining to the hubster that I too want a house on Assateague Island and he said one word that shut me up immediately on that subject. Mosquitoes. Oh yes, the mosquitoes. I had forgotten that on Assateague Island the mosquitoes are known to pick up small children and fly away with them. And that’s just the small mosquitoes. You can imagine the damage the big ones do. But still…a house on Assateague! Sigh...

 
posted by Daisy Martin at 9:48 AM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At February 11, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Was it that all your crafts are packed, so you had time to write? Great going.
    Assategue (sp) will have horseflies, too. I used to live near a stable (yes in the city) and the horseflies were worse than the skeeters...

     
  • At February 11, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh and all that small world stuff means that you can never really read anybody to filth because it'll come back to bite you. Something that happens all too often in my business. damn!

     
  • At February 11, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Oh my gawd, I forgot about the horseflies. They bite too. and sand burrs. Maybe I should rethink this. LOL

     
  • At February 12, 2008 at 1:41 AM, Blogger Sam

    I live in a TINY village - it's nice, but I really think it's best to keep to oneself. We don't socialize much with the nighbors. There is such a thing as knowing too much about someone.
    :-)
    I have friends I walk with and friends I go to the pool with, friends I talk books with, and others that I do car pools with for the kids. But there is a big privacy fence around our garden, and I try to keep out of the village commitees (fastest way to make enemies...)
    I don't mind mosquitoes (we have swarms in upstate NY that could proabbly carry away a moose.) I am a fervant believer in 'Off'.
    :-)
    Oh, and I'm looking forward to your photo blog! I posted a couple pictures on my regular blog this morning.

     
  • At February 12, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Blogger Lin

    Good luck with the sale, the move, the purchase...everything. Tough time to be selling, the market and the season, but I"ll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you!

     
  • At February 14, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    That is absolutely the way to do it in a small town/village Sam. I am going to follow your lead I think, when I move.

    Thanks Lin, we'll need all the luck we can get with this lousy housing market. It's a buyers market and everyone wants your house for next to nothing. bah!