Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Oops, New Carpet

(click on image to enlarge)

It’s always been my experience that when the carpet installer shows up at your door giving you excuses from the very beginning, you are pretty much screwed and not in a nice dinner and flowers sort of way. (I’ve been reading too many romance books, but I digress). Yesterday morning a van pulled up in the driveway and dumped all of our new carpet on our driveway in the snow. Then this beat up caddy pulls up and out steps the carpet installer’s wife. Seems the carpet installer had been in a bad accident that weekend so she was filling in for him. That would have been fine, but SHE SUCKED! I asked her at 1pm how much more they had to do, as I was trying to gage if I was going to make a certain appt or not. At least a couple of hours she said. No problem. I can deal with that. Thirty minutes later she comes to me and says “I’m done.” Wouldn’t you be concerned? I couldn’t really see the carpet because of all the scraps on the floor. But after vacuuming I was clearly able to see the very poor done seam in my bedroom and in each of the doorways. And there was the fact that she didn’t even bring the 6 feet of metal striping that we had bought. Some areas looked like they had raw edges. Why did we pay an additional $38 for metal striping to go in the bathroom doorway and by the kitchen? I don’t know but I would like my $38 back. That would just about pay for one really nice lunch for my BFF and I. I ask her to look at the seam as she is leaving. “Oh all seams look like that” she explains. “It takes about a month before you can’t see them anymore.” Okay, but how does that explain the piece that is coming up in one corner of my bedroom? I called the owner after she left and he is coming over this morning with “an installer” to finish up the job right. One thing that really concerns me though is the large amount of carpet left. Seriously there is enough left to do our dining room and still have lots left over. I’m not going to do our dining room though, as they are hardwood floors. But you get my point, we paid for a lot of extra carpet that we won’t use. Money down the drain. It’s a shame that all this happened because the carpet looks super awesome. I just wish it had been laid correctly.

So in the middle of all that, I go to my chiropractor appointment yesterday afternoon. I started going there about a month after my car accident. Yesterdays appointment was with their massage therapist who was supposed to “manipulate” the scar from my spinal fusion. I was thinking it would only be about fifteen minutes at the most. Imagine my surprise (and delight) when I found out it was actually a full body massage for an hour. By the time I left there I didn’t care how bad my carpet seams looked. And the best part? My medical insurance paid every penny of it. I didn’t even have a co-pay! Sometimes life can be pretty darned good, eh?
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 5:29 AM | Permalink |


4 Comments: