Monday, June 25, 2007
Oops, Vacation is Over



We’re home finally. But in true Daisy fashion, not without incident. We were driving on I74 a few miles before we hit Shelbyville and were passing a teenage girl in a small red ford ranger pickup. She had pink fuzzy dice hanging from her rear view mirror which made me think of my daughter. She used to have fuzzy dice hanging from her first vehicle. I digress though. As we got directly next to the girl we heard a loud pop and then immediately a flapping noise. Her tire had blown. She fought the wheel to keep from plowing into the side of us and you could tell she was having a hard time of it. She ended up going off the side of the road heading towards a bunch of trees. She turned her wheel just before she would have hit the trees and instead of hitting the trees her truck rolled over twice and landed upside down on the roof of the truck. We saw everything. It was so scary especially when you consider it all happened at sixty miles an hour. We stopped but by the time we stopped we were several yards past her. Several other people stopped which had been behind us. We weren't able to reverse and drive back because the traffic was too heavy. But as soon as the accident happened I called 911 and reported it and within 3 minutes the state police arrived and an ambulance. We were all pretty shook up. The accident was so severe that I was sure the girl was dead. I kept expecting Jas to say “The girl didn’t make it and she is standing next to my window – I see dead people.” Yes, I watched The Sixth Sense one too many times. After we saw that the girl had help we drove up the road a couple of miles and went into Arbys to get a coke and calm down. When we got home I called the sheriffs department and the girl made it. Although I don't see how she could have lived through it I am grateful she did. I'm also grateful she didn't hit us because it was right on Jas's side of the car. What a horrible thing to witness. A horrible end to a nice vacation. And to top it all off, we get home to find out that my oldest son (Jas’s father) has left his alcoholic girlfriend and moved back home. I just want to go back to the beach and forget about everything. Coming home from vacation sucks!
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 4:43 AM | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At June 25, 2007 at 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Jeeesh! You sure know how to live dangerously. Glad you're all safe and sound.
    Guess you have another guest for dinner, now. (LOL)

     
  • At June 25, 2007 at 7:34 AM, Blogger MarkD60

    dang! some people have all the luck. Sorry that happened to you.
    Glad she didn't hit your car, or the trees!

     
  • At June 25, 2007 at 9:50 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    I could do without having another guest for dinner Ern. Not that I don't mind feeding people, I really do enjoy it. But this one seems to have drama follow him whereever he goes. It's day one and already I am worn out and have got nothing of my own done. AAGGHHH!!!!!!

    I want to go back on vacation. :-(

     
  • At June 25, 2007 at 3:49 PM, Blogger Julie

    You know your life is always full of adventure!! I have known your for 17 years and it never calms down!!! I think we will give you the balls of steel award!!! :-)
    Glad the girl made it. Maybe it was the lucky dice!!

     
  • At June 25, 2007 at 8:20 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Shoot, you are probably right about the dice Jules. I think I'd better go out and buy myself a pair of lucky fuzzy pink dice.

    Balls of steel award. LOL You just wanted to say balls. Ha ha! Speaking of balls, remember Irv the Perv? Don't know why he popped into my head when I read the word balls. LOL

     
  • At June 25, 2007 at 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Glad to see you got home "okay" End of vacations always suck... I vote that yours gets the "suckiest way to end a vacation" award. I hear that if you win...you recieve nothing but bragging rights. (which also sucks) I am so glad that the girl didn't hit you, and that she is going to be alright. Also happy to not hear of any pancreas problems...yeah!
    Hugs,
    Suzi

     
  • At June 26, 2007 at 8:26 AM, Blogger Lin

    Glad you made it home safely. How frightening an experience, though. Good luck with all the home dramas...it's tough to have adult children living at home. Hey, maybe you could pop a tent in the backyard and convince him it could be fun?! Such cute beach pics of your granddaughter.

     
  • At June 26, 2007 at 7:02 PM, Blogger Julie

    Yes I sure do remember Irv the Perv.. which was a scurv!! I wonder what ever happened to that wierdo? Maybe out stalking people at super markets!!! :-)

     
  • At June 26, 2007 at 8:36 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Thanks Suzi, I couldn't believe it but not even one pancreas problem! There was an angel on my shoulder during vacation I am certain. I even ate a BBQ pulled pork sandwich!

    Hi Lin. I like the tent idea. and I do happen to have a tent packed away in the garage. Hmmm.....