Wednesday, June 27, 2007
Oops, More Vacation Pics

Click on image above to enlarge

In all of the excitement, exhaustion and rush of coming home from vacation I neglected to put up the rest of my vacation pictures that I had meant to. I would tell you more of what we did on our vacation too, but I have lost my faithful handy dandy notebook that I had everything written in. Which brings to mind the fact that I didn’t tell ya’ll about how the vacation was almost cancelled a couple of hours before we were to leave for North Carolina.

We were set to leave for vacation on Friday June 16th. The hubster had to work that morning so my job was to take the dog to the boarder, gas up the SUV, pick up Jas and load up everyone’s suitcases and such in the back. On Thursday afternoon when Jas and I went to our favorite snow come place, the 1 year old Pathfinder started making a horrible noise. It sounded like a loose belt, or to a more trained ear like faulty bearings in some important place. I thought it was just a fluke and the noise would stop the next time I started the car. It did not. In fact, on Friday morning the noise was so loud that you couldn’t really drive the car. And did I mention our pathfinder is only ONE year old? One, people, just ONE year old. ONE I tell you! Daisy was pissed. The dealership could not get the vehicle into the shop to be looked at until the middle of the next week. Vacation had to be cancelled. I screamed, I cried, I cussed. Finally common sense (or vacation greed) set in and I called car rental places for a rental. There was some stupid race in town and finding a car in this town on a Friday morning was like finding a needle in a haystack. I was offered a little compact car. I didn’t like that idea though. Finally the heavens smiled upon me and I was able to find a 2008 Impala with only 100 miles on it. It was the only full sized car available for rent in the entire city. It turned out to be a comfortable car and great on gas mileage. I just keep thinking that the $300 we spent on it could have bought some killer souvenirs or better yet a couple dozen steamed blue crabs. Today we got our Pathfinder back and the problem turned out to be a defective part which was covered by the factory warranty.


Click on image above to enlarge

I couldn’t begin to tell you all of the fun things we did on vacation, but a picture is worth a thousand words so I will leave you with a few pictures.


Click on image above to enlarge

Funny thing on this pelican, just after I took his picture he sprayed a certain white substance from his hind region all over the pier. We were fortunate enough to just barely be out of harms way. I tell you, this “substance” shot ten feet at least. Ten feet, people! The humanity!


Click on image above to enlarge

The hubster and Jas built a killer sand castle, but I didn’t have the foresight to take a picture of it when they built it. I went down to the beach later that night to snap a picture and the tide had already washed it away. Who knew the waves would come that far up on the beach?


Click on image above to enlarge

This is a picture of my favorite meal. When we were in Kitty Hawk on the Outer Banks of NC we had a late lunch/early dinner (which I believe the technical term is Linner) at Dirty Dicks. I am proud to say I got crabs from dirty dicks. (Don’t think about that sentence too long or hard, no pun intended…much). Our appetizer was seafood chowder which was chock full of tender clams, bay scallops and tiny shrimps floating in a bowl of creamy white heaven. Then we ordered a pair of fried soft shell crabs to split between the two of us. And then came my favorite part of Linner; six large steamed blue crabs, sprinkled liberally with Old bay seasoning. They were so tasty that when we finished them we ordered another six. My only regret was that we didn’t order a pound of steamed shrimp and a pitcher of beer. Although I must admit the sweet tea was nectar of the Gods. While we are feasting on this succulent seafood, Jas is munching on an Arbys roast beef sandwich and curly fries. It must be a result of her being a landlocked Hoosier, but Jas is not a fan of seafood. It’s quite sad actually. I don’t know where I went wrong with her. She is still young though so maybe there is hope for her yet.
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 8:28 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At June 27, 2007 at 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Cripe my 88 Nissan lasted 100,000+/20 years and no such crap. Jeez. I don't think I woulda thought of renting a car. . . I just would have stampled my foot and steamed. . .