Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Oops, I’m Going Crazy



If you hear a blurb on the news about a middle aged homemaker going off the deep end and murdering her neighbors dog and then the neighbor, that would be me. I haven’t done the deed yet, but I am certainly thinking about it. I might add another neighbor’s dog in the murderous act as well. All day long yesterday I sat at the computer trying to do some work but unable to concentrate for all of the barking. I barely even checked my email. All because I could not think straight with the damned nonstop barking coming from the self proclaimed faith healer neighbors dog. I have discussed this with her several times before and each time she sighs and says it drives her crazy too but there is nothing she can do about it. She freely admits that the dog will bark at even a falling leaf, but what can she do? How about putting a muzzle on that mutt you inbred hill-jack? How about actually taking the time to give the dog some food and water so it isn’t barking for help all of the time? What the hell does she expect when she gets a dog and throws it in the back yard only to ignore it. The only time this dog ever has any human interaction is when her husband (the self proclaimed prophet) throws some food over the fence every morning. If he was such a great prophet he would have been have to prophesized that the new dog would drive the neighbors nuts and would have told his wife not to bring it home. And once this dog starts barking all of the other dogs in the neighborhood follow suit. I must live in the loudest neighborhood in Indy.

The odd thing about all of this is I am a dog lover. Hell, I even have a dog of my own. I do not, however, love hearing a dog bark nonstop for 2 hours. I even have to shut all of the windows in my house in the spring and summer because of these damned dogs. It is so frustrating. And I have to blame the owners because they are the ones that won’t take 5 minutes to train their dogs or to teach them that it is unacceptable to bark at the air floating by. Maybe I’ll just muzzle my self proclaimed faith healer neighbor just to show her how it’s done.



So if that didn’t put me in a bad enough mood yesterday the hubster added to it. Our bedroom ceiling fan has a light on it. You can turn the light off at the actual ceiling fan so you just have the fan running. But since I don’t like to stumble in the darkness in the bedroom I don’t turn the light part off. Therefore when flick the wall switch the light magically comes on and I can see. That didn’t happen last night. It seems that the hubster thought it would be nice to have the fan going while no one was in the room. So he turned off the light part at the fan itself. I flick the switch and no light. So I have to stumble in the darkness to switch the light on at the fan. I slammed into the blanket chest at the foot of the bed on the way to the light. Now I have two huge black and blue bruises across both of my legs. I am not a happy camper. I know exactly how Nancy Kerrigan felt now. I don’t understand why the hubster does stupid things like that. He does a lot of stupid things lately though and he is driving me crazy. Fortunately (or unfortunately) it doesn’t take much to drive me crazy these days.
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 10:27 AM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At March 27, 2007 at 5:48 PM, Blogger Wimsey

    Tell her to get a no bark collar for the dog. They make them in a citronella spray - doesn't hurt the dog, but generally stops the barking. Though, if the dog is being ignored like that, I'd call the SPCA and report them for animal abuse.

     
  • At March 27, 2007 at 7:06 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    I've never heard of the no-bark collar. I'm going to print up some info on it and give it to her tomorrow. Thanks Wimsey! And wait till I post tomorrow what I found out about her dogs today from her own mouth. I think a little tip to the humane society is in order.

     
  • At March 28, 2007 at 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Daisy: Wimsey's right, but I'd call the SPCA or Animal Control or Humane Society first. Your FHN had enough time to think (!) of a no-bark collar on their own. Besides, the collars are battery operated and considering FHN level of committment, I'd bet they'd never replace batteries. And, to make things more interesting, the no-bark collars do not work for every pooch. I've got a real soap box attitude about this: my Doberman was taken away from an abusive family and it's been 3+ years and she still has some 'issues'. Luckily, barking isn't one of them. And, my downstairs neighbor has 4 (four, IV, quatro) dogs, down from 5. They only bark when he uses the automatic door opener on his way home from work, and when I pass by the back door and they think I might let them out. There's much to be said for attention.

    Oh, and hubster seems handy. Why not ask/get him to install a remote for the ceiling fan. That way you can control fan and light at a convenient location and in the process loose that damn ugly string that hangs from the ceiling! (Some controls even come with dimmer switches for the light.)

    PS: Glad you're feeling well enuf to get pissed!

     
  • At March 28, 2007 at 8:31 AM, Blogger Sam

    Tha funniest story I ever heard was from a vet. He LOVES dogs. His neighbor's dog drove him to distraction. One day, his neighbor brought him the dog to get spayed. He did the operation. He also did something that paralysed its vocal cords.
    The vet said, "I thought long and hard about it, but I knew if the dog kept on barking, I'd end up putting it down the next time it got brought in for something benign, so I did the only thing I could to save it."
    LOL!
    So yes, there is an operation that works.
    PS - The vet told his neighbor he'd trained the dog not to bark. The guy was mega impressed.
    :-D

     
  • At August 23, 2007 at 8:57 AM, Blogger BarkingDogATLAS

    Dog lovers can be frustrated by dog 'keepers' who won't train their pet. Now you can post them at the interactive Barking Dog ATLAS