Thursday, September 4, 2008
Oops, Nosy Neighbors


There is a certain woman on our street that has made it her job to be the eyes and ears of the neighborhood. Every neighborhood has a person like that I think. I’m sure your neighborhood has one too. Matters are made worse by the fact that her daughter is in the same Brownie (girl scouts) troop as my granddaughter Jas. This morning the kids are at the bus stop as Jas and I load up the chariot to drive her to school. So just as we get to the end of the street the bus comes and we are stuck at the bus stop until the school bus leaves. No big deal. But then this woman walks over to my car. “Did Jas spend the night with you? She should ride the bus if she is spending the night with you. You should call the schools transportation department. Is Jas moving in with you? Oh, watching her before and after school while her mother works? Well where does her mother work? What time does her mother have to be at work? What time does she get off?” I felt like I had been through a police interrogation by the time she let me leave. Whew! The hubster says it’s because her husband was in the military for many years. He said she must have honed her “interrogation” skills on base. I’m sure my daughter, who lives on an Army base in Germany, knows many women exactly like my neighbor. Interestingly enough, the neighbor lived on a Military base in Germany for many years.
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 9:28 AM | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At September 4, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Blogger Mindie

    We had two neighbors like that in our last neighborhood. One was military (a Colonel's wife) and one an active school PTA volunteer. It was almost like a war between them to be the nosiest.

     
  • At September 4, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    AArh Doncha just hate that. It's made doubly hard in that Jas knows the the daughter, so the truly smart-a## answer can't be used. Drat!

     
  • At September 4, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    When Jas's mother gave me her work schedule tonight when she picked Jas up I told her she'd better give that woman a copy too. She said "Nah, as nosy as she is she probably knew my schedule before I did." Hah, she was probably right!

     
  • At September 10, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Blogger MarkD60

    Answer to question one: "Didn't I already tell you?"
    The interrogator will reply to the negative.
    Your response: "Then it must be none of yer frikkin business!"

     
  • At September 12, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Blogger Cindy N.

    I had a neighbor like her. She new when everyone in the neighborhood went to the bathroom. I have to say though, she looked out for us all. If anything was wrong....she knew it and checked on us. I guess there is a place in every neighborhood for busybodies.

    I've missed you girl!

     
  • At September 16, 2008 at 7:25 AM, Blogger Sam

    I think every village has its nosy neighbor!! We certainly have one here in my village, and I just hate talking to her, so I go out of my way to avoid it. Just like an interrogation!

     
  • At October 2, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Blogger MarkD60

    Daisy, it's OCT 2nd, You've never gone this long without posting before, I don't think.

     
  • At October 2, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    I know Mark. I'm having a nervous breakdown I think. Or if I'm not, I should.

     
  • At October 2, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Blogger Kingfisher

    I think I would have grown an extra middle finger just for that woman.