Monday, April 23, 2007
Oops, Lunch Adventures



I should call this post “Adventures with the self proclaimed faith healer neighbor”. Yes, I went to lunch with the self proclaimed faith healer neighbor today. And yes, we went to another Chinese barfette. Her goal in life is to try each and every Chinese buffet in Indianapolis at least once. I would say she has a pretty good start. And I must be a glutton for punishment because today I went with her. The shame of it.

Over lunch we were discussing the two young men that moved into the house across the street from me (and next to her). We are both concerned that they will be having numerous loud parties this summer (and they probably will). She told me that she thinks God put them in that house so she could save their souls. Funny, but I thought it was Jesus that saved souls, not fake faith healers.

Her husband has not worked since last September so just this last weekend he sold his work van. He is an out of work self employed carpenter. Now that he has sold his work van I wonder what he will do should he be fortunate enough to finally obtain work? This is a classic case of not thinking before you act. It’s okay though because he got much more for the van than it was worth. He got $100 for it. Maybe he can buy a bike at Goodwill with the money and strap his toolbox on the back. He could save on gas that way too by just pedaling from construction site to construction site.



Upon arriving back to our street she invited herself over, as she normally does when we go out to lunch. I have to say I absolutely hate it when she does that. Nonetheless, there I was, stuck with her for the afternoon. She happened to notice the picture I have as my wallpaper on my computer. (The starfish picture above). She asked me to print a copy out for her. No problem, I was happy to. I immediately printed out a copy for her on regular printer paper. As she clutched the picture to her chest in happiness she stated she was going to go to the Dollar Store and get a picture frame so she could frame it and hang it in her bathroom. Had I known she was going to frame it I might have printed it out on photo paper. Well…maybe not.

Did I tell you she thinks I am rich? Boy is she ever wrong. She thinks that because the hubster is an assistant manager and we have two cars and go on frequent vacations, we are rich. Not rich, just hard working, something she and her husband need to aspire to if you ask me. So she comes over this evening to tell me about her daughter’s birthday party this Thursday. It seems that she and her daughter were talking at dinner and her daughter wanted her to invite me to her birthday party because the daughter put it “She’s got a lot of money so I know Daisy will really get me something nice”. It’s one thing to say that in the privacy of your own home but quite another to tell something like that to the person you are hoping to mooch a present from. And the faith healer thought it was the cutest thing her daughter had ever said. Well they can both bark up another tree because this rich gal has had enough of being mooched off of by them.



Tomorrow I’ll post pictures of my lemon icebox pie experiment I tried tonight. I am too upset to do it tonight. All that time, all that work…dear God the humanity!
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 7:57 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At April 23, 2007 at 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh...I can't do Chinese food, not even if my rich neighbor is buying! LOL! Kuddos to you for being nice to your neighbor. I have a neighbor that is a recluse. I go to the pharmacy and grocery store for her occasionally. I can't decide if I am really helping her or if I am enabling her. She has lupus and is in major depression. She is 40 with no kids and a hubby who divorced her and got to keep the life, she got paid off and moved here. She has maybe one other friend. No family whatsoever. Every few days I call and talk to her machine just so she will call me back as I am backing out of the driveway (thus not having to speak to me, but letting me know she is still alive, depressed, but alive) Long story short... I feel for you. I no longer will go to the store without getting money first(so she leaves it under a rock by her front door), she always has me leave groceries/prescriptions at her front door (because she is going to shower, needs to nap, too sick to come to the door, etc.) and she never pays me back. I don't mind a few groceries here and there, but prescriptions are costly, and I don't have $200 for her medication. I get very frustrated with her at times. I can't believe your neighbor would actually tell you why her daughter wants you to come to her birthday party. The gull. I am sorry your neighbor is such a pain the butt.. but your stories about them make me chuckle...and gasp at the fact that people can be so rude and inconsiderate.
    Have you been feeling well with the pancreas? I hope you are feeling good! Oh, and I didn't take a computer or a cell phone to Europe...best thing ever...only know I am having a hard time remembering to check e-mail again. It was kinda freeing not being electronically gizmo'd for a couple of weeks. I CAN survive just fine without all the toys (although I don't want to do it all the time!)Thanks for your advice!
    Hugs,
    Suzi
    fellow unhappy pancreas person

     
  • At April 24, 2007 at 2:38 AM, Blogger Sam

    I can't believe she told you that - the nerve! Some poeple have no education.
    I'm interested to hear about her attempts to convert the young men across the street. Should be interesting.

     
  • At April 24, 2007 at 5:51 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Oh No. I thought there was one one crazy inconsiderate neighbor and I had it. Poor Suzi! Why can't people like your neighbor and mine live next to each other? They could use each other. LOL I thought you'd see it my way about not taking the laptop to Europe. While it would have been nice on the plane, it would have been a major pain in the butt to carry around, etc. Believe it or not the pancreas is actually (knock on wood) behving for the last 2 weeks. There are minor moments like when I eat more than half of a burger, that I have a minor puke, but you know how that goes. Those darn pancreases. LOL

    Oohhhh.... I already warned the guys across the street Sam. They are shaking in their workboots. BTW, thanks for mentioning bookmooch. I joined yesterday and already have 2 trades going! Now to decide what books I want. It's hard when I want them all. LOL