Thursday, April 19, 2007
Oops, It’s Gwanma Time
Yesterday I picked Jas up from school to spend a couple of hours with her. I was standing near the doorway of the school when she spied me as she was walking through the corridor to the front door. “Gwanma” she screamed as she ran towards me at full speed. When she reached me she gave me a huge pint sized hug. Teachers turned to look and smiled. Both Jas and I had big smiles on our faces. There is nothing so comforting as unconditional love. Once in the car, she asked me if her mom told me to pick her up from school. I replied no, and explained that I had called her mom asking if I could have the pleasure of picking Jas up from school and spending the afternoon with her. Her smile grew wider upon hearing that. It’s one thing to spend time with your Gwanma, but totally another to have your Gwanma actively seek spending time with you.



We began our afternoon by going to the shoe store. Auntie Brooke would have been proud. Jas is like her Auntie Brooke and is a shoe-a-holic. I’ve never had that disease myself…until the last year or so. Now I can’t help myself. Seriously, I have no self control when it comes to shoes. In fact I bought not one but TWO pairs of new shoes. I think this brings my shoe collection to approximately 25 pairs. My shoe collection is beginning to rival my handbag collection. Addictions are…addicting. Damn you shoe addiction…damn you!



When we got home Jas wanted to write a book. How wonderful to have the innocence to believe you can sit down and write a book in an afternoon. I wish I were six years old again. Well, maybe not. Anyway, we did sit down together and she did write a little story and added pictures to it as well. It was a cute story about a girl who wished for a horse. I need to clean it up a bit, but when I do I’ll publish it on my blog so ya’ll can see what an awesome creative imagination Jas had. She gets it from her Gwanma Daisy.
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 9:03 AM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At April 19, 2007 at 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    ohoh did the little girl GET the horse she wished for? That would make a Gwanma's job harder, wouldn't it.
    Gonna go to Kinko's & get color copies, cover and binding?
    She's taking after her gwanma...a writer at heart.
    Have you got a kiddie bookstore in your town? (near the shoe store would be best!) There are several books out there written by kids under 12, some as young as 9. Could giver her some inspiration to go for it. {Always with an idea for more work. . . }

     
  • At April 19, 2007 at 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    awwwwwwww...darling!

     
  • At April 20, 2007 at 2:20 AM, Blogger Sam

    That sounds like a perfectly lovely afternoon!

     
  • At April 20, 2007 at 9:12 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    I'm not telling you the outcome of the story Ern, I'm leaving you hanging in suspense. LOL. Of course the girl got the horsey. It's really a cute story. And you bet I'm having it bound at Kinkos. Maybe one day I'll have a collection of her stories and drawings published on Lulu.