Friday, April 13, 2007
Oops, It’s a Sexy Profession



I spent a great deal of the day yesterday, researching my romance novel, and the rules of actually writing a romance novel. Apparently my sex scene with the neighbor is a huge no-no since the heroine doesn’t actually end up with the neighbor in the end. I found a way around that though. Two words – ‘Dream Sequence’!!!! Perfect, right? My brilliance astounds me at times.

My problem now is the hero’s profession. I have him as the owner of a Real Estate Agency and that too is apparently a no-no. According to my research yesterday, there are certain ‘sexy’ professions that your hero can have and Real Estate agent is not one of them. Sorry, no disrespect meant to any real estate agents, I am sure you are all sexy in your own way. And the shame of it is I have written five chapters in which his profession as a real Estate Agent is prime. My bad. How was I to know he was in a ‘unsexy’ profession? The acceptable ‘sexy’ professions a hero can have are the following;

Cowboys
Law Enforcement
Firefighters
Doctors, Paramedics
Spies, Secret Agents
Military, Special Forces
Pirates
(I run into those all the time)
Astronauts
Pilots
Bounty Hunters
(Dog is sexy???)
Fortune Hunters
Bodyguards
(well Kevin Costner WAS sexy in the movie of the same name)

So now I am racking my brain trying to determine just exactly what profession Mr. ‘Hot Bod’ Sommer’s is in. It has a to be profession where the heroine can the inept new employee who gets on his bad side, and then later his bed. Somehow I can’t see my heroine as secretary to a Pirate. I could however see her being bedded by a Pirate. Hmmmm...
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 6:41 AM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At April 13, 2007 at 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    DM: Unless you are absolutely, totally, 1000% certain that no recipe has ever appeared in print under some else's ©, use 'complied by', 'collected by'
    putting on my thinking cap for title...

     
  • At April 13, 2007 at 10:03 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Thanks Ern. I hadn't thought of that aspect of it.

     
  • At April 13, 2007 at 1:01 PM, Blogger Sam

    The hero can't be in real estate?
    Wow - bummer, lol.
    I'm trying to think of hero's professions and drawing a blank. I have some sport's stars, and a lot of fantasy characters with no visible means of support, lol.

     
  • At April 13, 2007 at 1:24 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    I had a brainstorm this afternoon - A Vet!!! Think of the possibilities! She can still work for him and be inept in a cute way. And she can be allergic to dogs or something to make it funny.