Sunday, February 4, 2007
Oops, Daisy’s Baking




Some of you may remember the pics I posted on my old blog of the wondrous meals I created in my humble kitchen. I was an artist with a paring knife and a block of cheese, I swear I was. I don’t know what happened and where I went wrong though. You see, I have been wanting to try my hand at making a pound cake for several years. Finally I worked up the courage to do the deed. On Saturday morning I braved the crowds at the grocery clothes in Dolts blue and white garb. (Go Bears) I bought a bundt pan, premium flour (no store brand for me), Land O Lakes butter, brown eggs, real vanilla (not the imitation kind), I shot the grocery budget just so I could make the most perfect pound cake known to man (or woman). I am woman hear me roar and watch me cook. I am the brave almighty baker and I rule! Or maybe not. What’s that saying about the best laid plans of mice and men? Superbowl Sunday was the day. I put on my apron and spent over an hour in the kitchen whipping up the most divine pound cake known to man. (snicker) If the recipe says to bake for 80 minutes and you notice smoke coming off the charred black top of your pound cake after 65 minutes, maybe you should take it out of the oven. Unfortunately I did not. After I took the cake out of the pan and let it cool on the counter, I tapped my fingers against the rock hard sides of the cake. My dog started barking because he thought someone was banging the doorknocker at the front door. I had to take hubsters super sharp chef knife just to cut through the brick cake.



What does a Hoosier do when the Superbowl is on and the Dolts two points behind the Bears and their pound cake is a black charcoal cinderblock not fit for human consumption? Go to Steak and Shake for a milkshake of course. As if there were any doubt. Go Bears!
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 5:14 PM | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At February 4, 2007 at 8:53 PM, Blogger Mr. Toast

    I don't know, it looks pretty good to me. But if you'd like to send me several pieces of it for testing, I will be more than happy to give you an impartial review. I also gladly accept cookies, brownies, fudge, cobbler, and pies, especially Apple and Key Lime. I charge no fee for this valuable service; that's just the sort of swell fella I am, always looking for some small way to help (wo)mankind.

    BTW, thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I'm always pleased to see a new reader and I hope you'll come and visit again. Sorry Da Bearss lost the game, but the Puppy Bowl was good, wasn't it? I loved the halftime Kitty Show.

     
  • At February 5, 2007 at 5:03 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    I could be charged with manslaughter for sending you that cake Mr. Toast. It was THAT bad! I'm hiding in my house for the next 6 months until this Superbowl thing blows over. I have a feeling these Hoosiers are going to be wearing blue and white for quite awhile now. go bears... :-(

     
  • At February 5, 2007 at 6:07 AM, Blogger Sam

    LOLOL!!!!
    Oh, that is TOO funny!
    I feel for you, I really do (especially since I know the price of butter and eggs - oy!)
    But the milkshake looked scrumptious.
    I really thought the Bears would win. Thank Goodness I didn't bet with my Hubby! LOL!

     
  • At February 5, 2007 at 6:21 AM, Blogger Julie

    Well I bet hubby is in 7th heaven that the Colts won! who woulda known?!
    Well better luck next time on the cake.. I let the local grocery baker do my baking for me :-) We are on the dreaded diets though so we had a thin slab of beef and a very small baked potato.. and a huge salad for our din din!!

     
  • At February 5, 2007 at 8:50 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Julie, Greg said to tell you (and I quote) "HELL NO!" He is not a Colts fan. Ever since they snuck out of Baltimore 20 years ago he has held a grudge.

     
  • At February 5, 2007 at 9:26 AM, Blogger Julie

    oh okay no bitterness there!!! Well I didn't care either way but I expected the Bears to win.. I only watched it for the ads. My favorite was the fireman dog.

     
  • At February 5, 2007 at 11:44 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Oh I LOVED the fireman dog. That was so funny at the end when he winked at the other dog and then you see the model has mud all over her after hugging the dog. That was so cute. They sure did have alot of Bud commercials this year. Wait, they have alot of Bud commercials every year.

    Today they are having this parade for the Dolts downtown at 4:30 and most of the city is trying to get down there to attend in the minus 5 degree temps. The same people that couldn't be bothered to attend any fo the Dolts games until it looked like they were a run-in for superbowl. Good old fair weather Indy fans.

     
  • At February 5, 2007 at 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Oy! That is not good when poundcake burns! I have a recipe that I will forward to you sometime this week. One of my mother's baking classics is the pound cake with chopped up walnuts and she nearly fainted when I said someone charred it on their first go at it! Well not really but she was curious as to why you would bake it for 80 minutes. Lol hope this doesn't deter you from trying it out again!

     
  • At February 5, 2007 at 7:45 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Oh, Oh... Lady Smarty Pantz PAH-LEESE forward your Mom's pound cake recipe onto me. I used this stupid recipe from the Gold Medal Flour cookbook. I thought you could trust Gold medal Flour. It said to bake at 375 degrees for 80-90 minutes. I should have known better.