Friday, January 26, 2007
Oops, There Goes The Waistline



Winter has hit the Midwest with a vengeance. There is nothing like going into the kitchen to get a morning cup of coffee and seeing ice on the windows, inside the house. When I turn the heat up condensation covers the windows so you can’t see out of them. They make for good canvases to draw smiley faces on however.



On Thursday’s the hubster has to work until 7pm thanks to his new position at work. I don’t particularly care for his new Thursday hours, but it does afford me a little extra time in the kitchen to create masterpieces. Yesterday, being Thursday, I decided to play the role of a 1950’s housewife, and make meatloaf and macaroni and cheese. I put my own twist on it though and used Ina Garten’s (Barefoot Contessa) gourmet Macaroni and Cheese. It is made with cavatappi, sharp white cheddar and a divine gruyere cheese. Top the casserole with vine ripened tomatoes, then toss Japanese breadcrumbs (Panko) with melted butter and sprinkle over the tomatoes. It was sheer heaven. If you don’t want to search on the Food Network for her recipe, let me know and I’ll email it to you. The meatloaf was no simple concoction either. Made with an assortment of ground meats, I added chopped shallots, garlic, onion, peppers and spices, not to mention more of those divine Japanese breadcrumbs which I soaked in heavy cream. The results were amazing. I detest meatloaf, but this one I actually liked. The problem with all of this? I am on a diet. Did I eat any of the foods I slaved away all evening to make? Hell yes! I feel so ashamed.
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 7:15 AM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At January 26, 2007 at 8:25 AM, Blogger Julie

    Oh well you have to eat your own cooking don't you?! Especially when you spend half the day in the kitchen! I am on a diet too.. trying to eat natural food with hardly any preservatives... ya right!! not an easy thing to do!! Good luck on your diet and its about time someone other than us got snow!!

     
  • At January 26, 2007 at 11:55 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    I just have to stop cooking that "stick to the ribs" stuff Jules, because not only does it stick to the ribs, but also to the butt and gut. Snow is a 4 letter word after all. ;-)

     
  • At January 26, 2007 at 1:47 PM, Blogger Tracy Lynn

    Dude, I just wish I lived close enough to stop by for dinner.

     
  • At January 27, 2007 at 12:08 PM, Blogger Mary

    Your mac and cheese looks and sounds divine. Yummy. I finally got off my butt and updated my links. God, I'm so lazy!

     
  • At January 27, 2007 at 1:58 PM, Blogger Daisy Mae

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At January 27, 2007 at 1:59 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Tracy I wished I lived close by you so I could cook us a lobster dinner! The heck with mac and cheese and meatloaf, show me the lobster!!!

    Mary the mac and cheese looks real divine on my butt, which is where it settled 2 days later. Amd the meatloaf settled in a nice tire around my waist.