Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Oops, Winter Fell



Oops, Winter finally fell and so did the snow. I woke up to a blanket of white this morning. It filled my heart with joy and reckless abandonment. I’m not exactly sure what reckless abandonment is but it sounds good on paper, eh? After I got out of the shower I threw on some clothes (always a helpful thing to do), tossed back a cup of joe and went outside in the frozen tundra. At first I thought I would shovel snow. I absolutely love shoveling snow. I even shovel snow in the midst of snow storms just so I will have the pleasure of shoveling the walk again at the end of the snow storm. Alas, there wasn’t enough snow to shovel this morning. There wasn’t even enough snow to sweep, at least on the sidewalk. The snow was all on my car. And there was plenty of it on there too. How odd that snow won’t stick to the street but it will on your car. Is that one of those Murphy law things? Damn that Murphy. And in true Murphy Law fashion, I opened the car door and an avalanche of the white stuff fell and landed on my leather seat.



Eventually I had the snow cleared off of my seat and windshield enough to drive off. Today is new release Tuesday at the video store and I wasn’t about to let something as minor as a snow storm impede my video renting. I slipped and slid all the way down the street to the main road. Once on the main road I slipped and skidded even more, even though I was only going 25 miles an hour. We have been having monsoons here in the Midwest and everywhere you look is flooded. Therefore we had some nice ice patches underneath the snow. I took my life in my hands by venturing out to the video store. And of course I get to the video store and the new releases sucked or were movies I had already seen at the theater. Once again a testament as to what a prick that Murphy is.

I didn’t want my venture into the blizzard to be a total loss so I decided to do a bit of much needed grocery shopping since I was out anyway. You could see the lines of the parking spaces in the parking lot at Meijer. But this blind person took advantage of the snow by parking in the middle of the aisle that the cars drive down. That way they could be right by the front door of the store. Snow brings out the morons, or at least here in Indiana it does. I go in the store and the greeter chats with me about the idiot that left their car in the middle of the aisle of the parking lot. That was the days big excitement I guess. What can I say, we are hard-up for entertainment here in the Midwest. I was only in the store for 45 minutes. But don’t you know, when I came out the sun was shining and most of the snow had melted. And I am thinking I risked my life to get here as I slipped and skidded all over the roads, when I could have waited another half an hour and had clear roads and a sunny day? WTF? Damn you Murphy! Damn you!
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 7:33 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At January 16, 2007 at 9:48 PM, Blogger Mary

    What a let down. If I did all that, I'd at least want to come home and curl up on the couch with some hot cocoa and watch the snow fall... or something. Its cold out here in Phoenix. Freezing temps. It makes the news every night. ha. It really does!

     
  • At January 17, 2007 at 5:50 AM, Blogger MarkD60

    Welcome back to bloggerworld!

     
  • At January 17, 2007 at 6:25 AM, Blogger Julie

    We have had snow here too. Only 31/2 inches but enough to cause hell and damnation on the roads. This morning I took a wild ride on the rock road -shortcut to the interstate by my house. I did a complete circle on a turn.. thank God no cars were coming but I about had to go back home and chage my pee pants!!!

     
  • At January 17, 2007 at 6:43 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    I heard about your temps on the news this morning Mary. As well as Calif's temps and over half of the orange crop frezzing and being ruined so citris will cost 4 times the normal price now. What weird weather this year.

    Thanks Mark!

    You got alot more snow that us Jules. We had maybe 1/2 inch at best. Just enough to make the roads slick for about an hour. I'll send you some depends for those winter days. ha ha.