Monday, October 27, 2008
Oops, Orange Hair Means Orange Soup

(Click on image to enlarge)

If you will recall my post a few weeks back about how I am turning orange, it is true, I may have exaggerated the picture. But the truth of the matter is that I am indeed turning orange. My hair used to be blonde. Now, thanks to our rusty water, it is orange. You can’t get a full comprehension from this picture of exactly how orange my hair is, but believe me, it’s orange.


(Click on image to enlarge)

When colder weather hits I get cooking urges. There is nothing like the smell of food simmering away on the stovetop or baking in the oven on a chilly fall day. Am I right? Come on, you know I am. It makes you feel all homey and comforted inside your soul doesn’t it? Well it does to me at least. Today’s luncheon repast was split pea soup. Ever since I saw the segment on the Food Paradise show (on the Travel channel) about Anderson’s Spilt Pea soup, I had to have it. I’m not in the position to hop on my Lear Jet right now to fly out to Calif to have a bowl so I did the next best thing, I made it in my own little kitchen with my own little hands. Sorry Andersons, even though I have never tasted your soup I think I’ve improved upon it. I found their recipe online and added a ham hock (theirs was vegetarian) and some minced garlic. I also substituted half of the water for chicken stock. At first I was afraid the soup was going to turn out orange, because I grated the carrots instead of chopping them. Seriously, I had orange stock. It kinda matched my orange hair. Does orange hair mean you will have orange soup? Is thta how that works? It turned out all right in the end though and was green. How did it taste though? All I can say is YUMMY! This soup is yummy for your tummy. Good to the last drop! It warms you up from the inside out. I’ll put the recipe below for those of you that would like to try this delicious, good for your soul, soup. Try it folks, it’s a winner for sure.


(Click on image to enlarge)

Anderson's Split Pea Soup Recipe Improved

32 oz container chicken stock
3 cups cups water
1 small ham hock
1 ½ cups dried green split peas (do not soak)
1 stalk celery, finely minced
1 large carrot, shredded
1/2 cup onion, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Combine chicken stock, water and ham hock in a soup pot. Bring to boil. Add peas, celery, carrots, onions and seasonings. Boil at a low boil for 20 minutes, uncovered. Reduce heat and simmer until split peas are tender (approximately 45 minutes to an hour). Puree soup in a blender, 1 or 2 cups at a time. Return to soup pot and heat until warm throughout. Serve.

Note: Andersons does not use a ham hock. Their’s is totally vegetarian. Feel free to make this without a ham hock if you like.

At Andersons resturaunt they serve this soup with an array of toppings for the consumer to place on top of their soup such as minced ham pieces, bacon bits, cheese, croutons, green onions, etc. It’s great served plain too. Enjoy!
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 10:51 AM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At October 27, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Blogger Mindie

    You are so right about the cooking warm stuff on cool, Fall days. I love making chicken and dumplings and grits on cold days!

     
  • At October 28, 2008 at 5:55 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    OOoohhhh, Grits! That reminds me I want to make Grits and Shrimp. The gal at Trademark Properties that used to be on that show where they flipped houses emailed me that recipe and it sounds yummy!

     
  • At October 28, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I love split pea soup! If you use the right kind of ham hock(s) you don't even need any stock to make the soup taste good.
    I really like to use rosemary in mine, but I am going to try thyme next to compare.

     
  • At October 28, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    You must be a mentalist! It was cold and rainy on Sunday. Pea soup weather. I didn't have a ham hock and it was too icky to go out, so I added a few slices of andouille sausage after the blender stage. mmmmmmmmmmm pea soup As soon as it's gone I'll try yours.

     
  • At October 28, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    I've never tried Rosemary in it before. I bet that would be a good flavor boost. I'm going to try adding a sprig of rosemary to it the next time I make it.

    And andoyille sausage? Yum! we had that tonight in our red beans and rice that Greg simmered all afternoon. You know, I never tried spilt pea soup before found that recipe online. I am sad to thinkof all the yummy split pea soup I missed out on over the years. I think I'm going to try a squash or pumpkin soup next time. I love soup!