Saturday, March 1, 2008
Oops, Things To Remember

(click on image to enlarge)

I am officially a single woman. Well, until the hubster and I are reunited in Maryland atsome point in the distant future. Above is a picture of the hubster and I this morning before he left. Today he flew off into the wild blue yonder to the wilds of coastal Maryland, while I stay behind with a dying stinky dog, trying to sell our house. The plan is that I will move to Maryland when the house sells. I may be in Indiana for the rest of my life. We have had fifteen showings and not even one little nibble. Everyone agrees that the house shows well and it is priced right. But yet no-one is buying it. But they buy houses that are smaller and uglier than ours. I don’t get it. I just don’t get it. I think the universe is against us. Take for instance the showing this afternoon. I am one street over on Vali Drive, in my little hiding place where I can see the people coming into our house and I can see how long they stay. (that gauges my hopefulness or hopelessness as the case may be). Several things happen at once. A red pickup truck pulls into our driveway and at the same time a stray dog (we never get stray dogs in our neighborhood) comes running around the corner and across my yard and up to the passenger door of the pickup truck. The people in the truck start to back out of the driveway as if they are having second thoughts about viewing our house now. (I can’t blame them with a rabid dog running around). But the dog runs across the street to bark at the faith healers dogs who are barking right back at them. So the people do end up coming in the house. They only stayed six minutes though. What are the odds of a stray dog running in my yard at the same time people come to view the house? I tell you, someone has put a curse on me. Does anyone know how to get the evil eye off a person?


(click on image to enlarge)

I have no patience for the whole house crap today because as I said, the hubster moved to Maryland today. I was okay until when we were in the airport. Then he hugs me tightly, kisses my neck and whispers in my ear “I’m going to miss you.” I had to tell him gruffly “we’ll have none of that” and walk away, because my eyes were misting up. I did break into tears however when I saw him going through security at the airport. It suddenly hit me that it could be a month or more before I saw him again. We’ve been apart a few times in the fourteen years we’ve been married, but not very often. And it’s always been when I’ve gone on a business trip or a pleasure trip without him. I’ve never been in our house without him. I am so lonely that I’ve even invited our dying stinky dog to sit in the family room with me. Now that’s desperation! When I got back from the airport I saw that my Greggy bear had left me a note on the side of the fridge. It’s funny because I left a couple of notes in his suitcase for him. One I wrote in blue marker and it said “I’m blue without you”. His note to me was titled “Things to remember”. What little love notes did he leave me? Well, first on the list was “I love you”. Second was telling me about garbage day. Third was reminding me not to forget to regenerate the water softener every other day. Fourth was telling me how to make coffee (he has been in charge of making coffee ever since he first stayed over in 1993). Fifth was making sure I don’t forget to lock the doors at night. Sixth was telling me to be kind to Stinky the dog. And seventh was telling me to stay positive, that this would not last forever (so he thinks). Not the most prolific of love notes, but you would think it was a masterpiece judging by the amount of tears I cried when I read it. Maybe he should have added an eighth reminder. One that said “don’t forget to stop crying.” I hope day two of being single is better than day one.
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 5:39 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments: