Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Oops, an Expensive Sandwich

(click on image to enlarge)

Every five years or so, I get in the mood for a tuna sandwich. It’s been about five years since I’ve last had one, so I’ve been itching for one this week. Last night, as I lay in bed, I decided I would get up bright and early and go to the grocery in the morning for fixings to make a tuna sandwich for lunch. I wake up this morning to find snow falling, fast and furious. Not to be daunted, I purged ahead and braved icy, snowy, treacherous roads and horrible Midwest drivers, all in the name of the almighty tuna on whole wheat. Two hours and $53 later I was home. Yes, only I could spent $53 on a tuna sandwich. It’s not hard to do. When I got to the Meijers I realized I needed mayo to mix in with the tuna. And you can’t have tuna without chopped onion and chopped sweet pickle. And of course I had to buy the wheat bread and we all know that’s not cheap anymore.


(click on image to enlarge)

Then there was the homemade veggie beef soup I made since it was snowing and you have to have a pot of soup simmering on the stove when it is snowing outside so you feel cozy inside. When it was all said and done I had 2 grocery bags full of food and was $53 poorer. BUT, I had a killer tuna sandwich for lunch. And now I can go another five years until I need my tuna fix. By that time it may be $83 instead of $53.


(click on image to enlarge)

As I meantioned, we had snow today. Our little Chloe is not a snow dog by any means. Now Moose, our doggie that passed away from cancer last March, he was a snow dog. He was born in December and loved snow with all his heart. Chloe was born in July so she is a summer dog. When we opened the door for her to go out this morning she looked up at us as if to say, “what? You expect me to go out in that? You’ve got to be kidding!” She did eventually go out, but was ready to come in about 2 minutes. She spent the rest of the day looking out the front window bemoaning the fact that this horrid white stuff was littering her lawn. She was not happy about it.


(click on image to enlarge)

My snow picture is deceptive since it was taken before the additional three inches fell. Now it is a virtual winter wonderland out there. I am snug inside for the rest of the night, so I am loving the weather. Let the white stuff fall, the more the better. Tomorrow it isn’t supposed to go above zero at all. I won’t be living that. Especially since my granddaughter Jas is spending the night tonight and I have to drive her to school in the morning. We have already been informed that there will be a two hour delay for schools so that makes it a little easier. Cold weather is a littler more bearable when it is light outside as opposed to the darkness at 7:45am.

Seriously, although I do love snow, but this cold weather is on my last nerve. So I am planning a trip to Florida. At first I thought about flying out to Sacramento to visit my cousin (whom I haven’t seen since 2005) but then I realized I would have to wear a coat there. While they don’t have Midwest temps they don’t have Florida temps either. So Florida it is. Now if I can only hold out for two more weeks until we hit the road.
 
posted by Daisy Martin at 4:57 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At January 15, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Yup, tuna on whole wheat (toast) that's living.
    And I see you're fond of the obscure winter veggie, the parsnip! Same deal here. Veggie soup and -5°

     
  • At January 15, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    I heard on the news this morning that you were getting -30 today with the wind chill. Keep that mess up there, the -4 we are getting this morning is bad enough.

    Parsnips rock! We like to slow roast them with potatoes too, sliced and drizzled with olive oil.